Thursday, February 9, 2012

My New Calling in Dating


This may sound strange, but I have found a new spiritual gift.  In my singleness I have a unique opportunity to touch the lives of single men.  Now, don’t get the wrong idea.  It seems that as they get to know me, they also get to know God.  I’ve always heard in church that if you simply live your life as a believer, people will notice the difference in you and want what you have.  Well, it has seemed to be true!  First, I’ve noticed that guys really enjoy a good listener, believe it or not.  Who knew that men liked to talk?  Well, I’m a counselor, so this is just part of who I am, comes naturally.  I’m also good at offering encouragement and spiritual guidance, without being pushy.  Little by little, God’s grace slips into our conversations and into their lives.  Before they know it, they are starting to notice God show up.  
I have not been much a dater over the last 2 years of my singleness, because I’m so concerned about only “seeing” someone who is marriageable (for me).  I am looking for someone who is already where they need to be spiritually.  It is very important for them to be evenly yolked with me.  So, I’ve ignored many interested men.  But maybe God’s will is for me to get to know these men and minister to them.  I don’t know.  It’s something that I’ve been thinking about.  Obviously, this would not work for any man, but maybe for some.  Often, people are looking for companionship, anyway.  I believe in being friends first.  Hey, if they want to get to know me, they’ve got to get to know the God in me.  Who knows what might happen?  

No comments:

Post a Comment